Saturday, July 10, 2010

Certain things should be extinct


There is no need in my mind to protect poisonous
snakes, alligators, mice, rats, or......bugs.

In New Mexico we never had a flea problem, the environment
was just way too cold and dry for a flea to want to ever
move there.

The first Christmas after moving to Missouri we had fleas in
the house so I quickly educated myself on the little
buggers.

Been using Frontline Plus on the doggers for six
years, and it has always done such a wonderful job
I admit I don't always check the dogs for critters.
Until recently, when our son noticed a few fleas
on the short haired pup.
Uh oh.
Maybe I had forgotten that month's Frontline application,
so I re-applied. It had been three weeks anyhow.
Welp it did help but there still were those pesky
few fleas left. That is the WORST FEELING EVER
when you apply a chemical that is supposed to kill
all the fleas on your pet and it doesn't - you cannot
just re-apply the stuff without risk of poisoning them.
YIKES. My trusted Frontline no longer was doing
the trick.

So to the internet to do research. And wait.
Treat carpets, wash and vacuum religiously. Wait.
Treat the yard. Wait some more.

Ordered Advantage. It arrived yesterday and I
immediately applied it to all the doggers and cat.
Today it looks like Advantage is doing its' job.
I will know more in a few days after washing and
vacuuming and reassessing the situation This stuff
is too expensive to just experiment with.

Like any drug that people can build up a resistance
too, it's possible the doggers built up one
to the Frontline. Frontline is a good product.
I had thought about a bad batch but I had two
different batches and same results. I will use
the Frontline again (have some left) once the
weather gets colder and the fleas aren't as active.
To re-test and see what the results are.
UGH.