Thursday, November 5, 2009

The good, the bad, the ugly Ozarks


I've said it before, I'll say it again - people are NOT
the same everywhere. Yes it's true a lot depends on your
atttitude going in, but not everything depends on your
attitude. I've lived in five different states in 3 different
regions. My favorite is the southwest, followed by the west.

The Ozarks are no exception with the good and with the bad.
A few things that surprised me but I should have known, duh.

*The Ozarks locals are an influx of both southern and midwestern
people. So basically you have the generosity and warmth of the
south, along with the snarkiness of the midwest. The 'bad'
aspect of the south applies here - the people are sweet to your
face but will talk about you the moment your back is turned.
The 'good' aspect of the south is here too - they may be down
to their last twenty dollars, but if you are in need they'll
gladly give you $18 of it. The midwestern influence comes in
with the distrust and lying to impress.

*Branson Missouri has a high crime rate. No it isn't reported
on any news source, unless the story goes national. Talk to
anyone living there and you'll find most crimes are kept out
of the media for fear of scaring off tourists.

*Missouri is supposedly a right to work state. This is being
misinterpreted by employers everywhere in the Ozarks as meaning
'we can treat our employees however we feel like it cuz we
can fire them for whatever reason and get away with it.' No
sh** I've seen it many many times. What they are failing to
realize is that they are held to the same laws as employers
anywhere are, and many times what they are doing is downright
illegal. Most employees do not realize this at all. Amazing
the discrimination, harrassment, bullying, etc.

*The simple laid back, not telling you what to do aspect that is
the Ozarks is very welcomed by me. Aside from some Bible thumpers
who get a bit carried away, for the most part it's a mind your
own business area. Yet there are many charities and volunteers
should one be in need.

*I think it is becoming more of the way of the country, and not
a localized issue, but it seems like there are more whiners and
no do something about it type of people here. Many whine, complain,
bitch and moan..whoa is me, whoa is the town, whoa is this and
that, but when it comes time to take action they hide.

*Never seen such an area so afraid of change either. Is that
good or bad? I can predict how an event will go every year,
just by going to the very first one. Absolutely nothing changes.
Is this for security maybe? Interesting observation however.

Would I do it again, move to the Ozarks? I never really cared
where I lived, although I do miss the southwest where I lived
the longest. I'm happy here, I'd be happy almost anywhere and
have never really had an issue with anyone locally. I guess
I would!