Saturday, April 18, 2009

Slices of life pt. 2

I once turned down a job offer at the #1
radio station in Colorado - I did not want
to move to a bigger city.

I turned down a television job with an
Albuquerque station (I think it was KOAT) -
I did not want to travel 3 1/2 hours one
way to a big city often. I told them if
they could cut out some of the travel time
I'd be interested.

I almost drowned in a motel swimming pool -
It was around 1990 I think? In San Diego.
I had been waiting for a full day to go for a
swim in the pool. The night before I sprained
my ankle very very badly. Not thinking, the
next morning I hobbled out to the pool with
no one else around. I eased in the water then
let go of the side to swim. The pain shot up
my leg and into my hip, doubling me over
(but I was trying to swim, wait, that wouldn't
work). I was flailing with my arms for the edge
of the pool, and finally was successful. I pulled
myself out and hobbled back to the motel room.
I don't recall ever being in deep water since
that time. Duh Molly, not the brightest sometimes!

I danced with some of the cast members of
the movie Conagher - My employees and I would
often times hang out at the Holiday Inn Lounge
after work. One evening some of the cast of
the movie was there. We had a great time!

In my college years, I did such jobs as being the
Easter bunny in a mall, also ring girl for kick
boxing matches - The EB job didn't pay too well,
but the ring girl job did. I also cared for a barn full
of Arabians, worked p/t at a newspaper, and babysat.
I guess my job of choice from the above would have
to be the horses. It didn't pay badly either!

I grew up on a prison farm - My father was employed
by the state and I spent my childhood years on
a state prison farm. Many times I was in contact
or outside with an inmate. These were murderers,
druggies, and thieves (anything but a sex offender)
in for hard time at the prison. I never once, never ONCE
had a bit of problem with any of these inmates.
They loved being on the farm (where we lived and they
worked the land) and would even bawl me out if
I accidentally ran over a kitten or something (it
happened, sadly). Many of them had never been
on a farm before until that time.

I love my in laws - How many of us can say that? I
was very close to my mother in law, and still stay in
contact with one brother in law and his s/o. He said
once I am the sister he never had :) We had some
really really good times, all of us together. The joys
of marrying into an Italian family! (stories another time).
I just wish I could have traveled on some trips with
my mother in law before her death, she was a hoot and
could be so much fun! She didn't like to travel though.