Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Speaking of spouses

I have a spouse.
LOL.
I have been married to the same guy
for 18 years now. I really don't speak
much of him online, as he doesn't get
online much.

He is a wonderful person and we share many
of the same views. For what we disagree on,
we disagree respectfully. He is a very
intelligent and hard working person
and together we built up a successful
business and planned successfully for our
now semi retirement and future. He will
never stop working, he loves what he does,
although since moving to Missouri he now
picks and chooses what he wants to do.
Because he is so versatile, he is able to
keep busy without any advertising or
soliciting. Word of mouth in a small town
is the best advertisement of all! And
you only get there by being fair and
knowledgeable. Of the two of us, he is the
people person, the sociable one.

We respect each other, and always have. I
believe that is a key ingredient for a
successful marriage. Other ingredients
are admiration, surprises, humor, privacy,
trust, honesty,and of course love. Everything else
tends to fall into place. One of the things
we've always done is have 'roles'....
what either one of us lacks, the other one
picks up. It is not necessarily a woman's
thing or a man's thing, it is just a 'thing'.

For example - he hates working outside. So
he mows the lawn and that's pretty much it...
I am the one that rakes, burns, picks up, tills,
plants, picks, waters, etc. I don't like to
cook so we split about 50/50 on that. This
works because then one of us is not nagging
the other one to do something.... And if I
mow the lawn just one time, just ONE LITTLE TIME,
I will be mowing it forevermore, so I don't!

We work well as a team. When the kid was little
we split up the night shift - my best sleep is
from about 4am on, and his is earlier in the
night...so....when the kid was a baby I handled
things till about 4am then he took over
after that.

I have learned so much from our business. I
have picked up so many ways to be self
sufficient and for that I will be forever
grateful! If I ever have to buy a house
by myself, I would know more than the realtor
thanks to him and our business.

Marrying into an Italian family has been just
awesome - once you're accepted you are really
a part of the family, and that is just so fantastic!
I really have no complaints in that regard, or
in any regard actually. I will have to post
some things about Italian family life! He
blends in well with my family as well, although
he gets tired of all the corn fields on the trip
there!

I could have done much worse and have no intention
of taking that chance. Yeah, he's okay, for a man :)