Saturday, August 8, 2009

Through my eyes



I think Google is interesting. You can find out a lot about
something from googling and utilizing other search engines.

I am also learning that negative posts about an area or a
high profile person get deleted on a regular basis by the
various Ozarks websites which the comments were made in.
While I can certainly understand this if the comments were
threatening in nature, or downright flaming, I'm not sure
I "get" what the purpose of a public comment feature is on
a website if they delete criticism upon any level?

Personally, I do not make negative posts in a public forum
online. But rather I silently read. A lot. And observe.
A lot. And form opinions. A lot!

I think a person or a business can learn a lot from negative
feedback, or criticism. It's not necessarily a bad thing!
I don't understand why the need to only allow 'happy' rah
rah posts, or pats on the back?

I've seen bloggers with high public profiles ranting and
raving on personal blogs, then when there is a negative
comment they come unglued and threaten a poster that they
know the commenter's ip addy. Like that will get them
anywhere - an ip addy is not of much use to a ranting
blogger.

I've seen other local forums that have moderators that feel
that anything goes - including names and libelous comments.
It's a little bit of the local coffeehouse 'gossip'. Again
I am silent and quietly reading - taking some of it in
with a grain of salt, committing a little of it to memory
for future reference.

But for normal criticism and non threatening, non name
calling comments, I feel everyone is entitled to an
opinion and we all can learn from this, especially the
business or person who is being criticized - we do not
live in a world where we can delete the true feelings
of people as easily as we can delete the comment section
of a story or post.