Thursday, August 13, 2009

To be young again




I don't always look my age. I have noticed this happens
more frequently when a) I am wearing no makeup b) I
am wearing old scuzzy clothes c) I have on my
sunglasses and d) my husband isn't with me.

I have run into numerous obstacles at times because
I do look young. While some cannot see where this could
possibly be a bad thing, it does have it's problems.
Thankfully I've never been one who likes alcohol much.

In my 20's I was accused (loudly) of carrying a false
id by a Cubs beer vendor. I was also kicked out of
the lounge area in a racetrack by security while
drinking a Coca Cola (I was later allowed to return).

My 30's I was constantly carded wherever I went that
involved alcohol (In NM a minor is not permitted in
a bar). I once was at a fundraiser and went up to the bar
and ordered a soda. After I got the soda an old fart pinched my butt while telling me he'd be glad to buy
me a real drink (I gave him my best 'go to hell don't touch
me again or I'll clobber you' look). We were on a plane
once heading to Reno, when the flight attendant called my
friend my mom. The rest of the flight I asked 'mom' if I
could have a soda, or peanuts, she was NOT amused! People
on occasion called my husband my father, but more often than
that when I worked at a bank the customers thought I was my
brother in law's daughter....I would call him 'dad' when he'd
come in the bank, he laughed (thankfully).

We moved to Missouri in my 40s. Since that time I was
refused a carton of cigarettes and told my id was a fake
at one establishment (how on earth can a person in their 40s
get mad at that? I just smiled and said 'okey dokey nice lady').
Also while playing Name That Tune (with the jukebox) with
friends, they were astonished to know that I knew who
Christy Lane was. Guys with no brain cells have whistled or
honked at me, and airheads in their 20s have tried to pick
me up in restaurants.

I know full well this won't last!!

What these people do not know is ....
*My hair color comes out of a bottle.
*Every morning my back hollars at me till it's worked out a little.
*Look close enough and you'll see wrinkles.
*Certain body parts sag.
*If I didn't wear glasses I would be pretty blind.
*I'm in my jammies by 8pm.
*On most things I'm pretty old fashioned.
*If I eat too many spicy foods I get indigestion.
*I lead a boring life and like it that way!

*If I have two beers in a row I'm hung over for two days.