Monday, August 24, 2009

Trip to Indiana




It was almost a month ago, and I'm
just now getting around to posting about
it! Figured I better do it now before I go
on my next trip, or I'll be way behind!

So on Thursday night my husband didn't get
home until midnite, and he still wasn't
packed. Figured we'd be leaving at the
crack of dawn, but we didn't get left
until 9ish? A stop in Arcola to eat
dinner at my favorite place there, but
otherwise we booked the 600 miles (as
much as one can 'book' on an Illinois
interstate that has cops every 5 miles).

Once we got to Indiana, I had him follow
highway 2, as it's the quickest route. Lo
and behold for the THIRD YEAR IN A ROW there
is still a roadblock on Hwy 2 with a detour
that takes you WAY out of your way. When
is that road going to get finished??
And what the heck are they doing anyway
that it's taking this long?

Okay so I don't know, around 8ish, we showed
up at my brother's place. Everyone 'acted'
surprised, but I had been tipped that the
cat had been let out of the bag. That
is okay. We ate (again) and talked to
everyone before crashing. Awesome thunderstorms
that night that seemed to go on for hours.
Pretty cool watching the sky light up through
the skylights.

The party on Saturday was nice, as was
the reunion on Sunday. Saw people I hadn't
seen in 20 plus years. It's slightly
annoying to hear someone ask, "Molly, do
you know who this is?" while they're standing
with someone you haven't seen since you
were about 16. Almost 30 years ago! But
I did pretty good.

Parents' neighbors (love them) made me a little
crafty something to take home. Lots of photos
were taken (but not by me). Lots of talking
and little sleep! Our son enjoyed brother's
pool. He has a really nice setup at his house,
reminds me a lot of what we had in NM (minus
the pool).

Sunday night my husband woke up in the middle
of the night just miserable. Too many bratwursts
and peppers. I really doubted we'd be heading
home on Monday, but lo and behold we did.
Kid got carsick just a few hours from home (thank
goodness for Wal-Mart bags, that's all I gotta
say on that). We made a wrong turn in Missouri
and didn't catch it for 1/2 hour. But we got
home and all was well. Then it took us (me)
about four or five days to recover from the trip!