Friday, May 22, 2009

Keep smiling, keep shining

I read a blog regularly from a young woman who
was recently widowed. She has two young children.
She talks about some of the dear friends who come
through for her. I can relate.

As mentioned before, I was widowed at the age of
24 after living only one year in southern Colorado.
I was left with a business and a HUGE debt load.
The people there were wonderful, some of the
best people on earth. I will always remember those
that supported me and helped me during those
trying years. The thing with me is, I won't ask for
help or tell someone what I want. So the only way
to actually do anything for me is to just go ahead and
take charge. But this is touchy as I'm picky and set
in my ways. A person must earn my respect before
I let them take charge of anything in my life.
These people did the RIGHT things, and
I owe them so much!

Hap - mentioned in an earlier post.

Dr. F - She bent over backwards for me. She scheduled
appointments bi monthly with made up reasons. We
spent many days just talking...not about anything
in particular, just talking. It was a wonderful break
in my day, my health stayed up to par, and my stress
level was down.

K - A wonderful strong woman who owns her own
funeral home. K would just show up around noonish
at least once a week and tell me to get in the car
for lunch. If I was busy doing something she would plop
herself down and put herself to work answering phones,
typing copy, whatever needed done. We had many
a lunch over mexican food discussing the various
methods of embalming people :) K had the best
jokes in the world (she said people grieve in strange
ways) and the cutest kids in the world (until I had
my own). She often told people that we were sisters.

L - This person would call me up to 4 times a day -
every morning around 8, about noon, around 4,
then in the evening.

The best employees in the world - Wow we had fun
at times. We knew when to work and we knew when
to play. We threw a frisbee around out back where
the tower is, we would go out drinking or throwing
darts, we'd eat dinner together, we'd talk. I can't
say enough about the support I had from the crew
I had then, wonderful people! I've kept in contact
with a few of them.

These are just a few of the reasons I made the decision
to stay in Colorado (instead of moving back to
Indiana). Paths cross our life every single day, and
we must make choices. We either live with the results
of those choices or we backtrack and try to get
to that crossed path again. I have never been afraid
of the unknown or of change and I love learning new
cultures and also new experiences.