Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Slices of Life pt. 3

I once had a date with a college dean - A dean at the
local college once called me up and asked me to go out
with him - first to hear his lecture
to the agricultural department at the college, then
out to dinner. My first thoughts were "Oh wonderful,
dinner with a friend!" This man was 30 years my
senior, and I had no idea he meant a date-date. So
he picks me up and we go to the lecture. I really
didn't pay that much attention to it, I was not
into farming and I sometimes sat through 3
lectures a day, so I knew how to drift off mentally.
But in the car driving to the restaurant, he wanted
me to critique his speech. Uh, duh, uhm.
I faked it as best I could ;-) Dinner was fantastic
and the conversation even better. After dinner
we went into the lounge to listen to music
and have a drink. During this time he told me
how he had been mesmerized with me 'since
that day I was at the station, you came
out of your office, the sunlight was hitting
your hair just right and....".
Oops.
Suddenly it dawned on me he meant more for
this evening than two friends having dinner.
So my first words were "Oh, the age
difference doesn't bother you?" He stammered
around a minute then asked how old I was. I told
him the truth (something like 25),
then asked HIM how old HE was. He replied
in a mumbled tone something about being
old enough to be my dad.
Shortly after that we left. It was a very quiet
drive back. I only saw him one time after that,
at a movie theater. He was there with his new
wife. He looked totally uncomfortable when
I said hello to him and asked him how he was.
Sadly, he passed away from cancer about a year
after that.


I fell off a horse at a racetrack - The town
we lived in in NM had horse racing. My
husband dabbled with racehorses and knew
the trainer well. I had a young horse at the time
they were using to pony the racehorses with
that summer and they kept him at the track.
One evening I went to the track and took the
horse out for a ride...we went out into
a big field and I was busy watching the sun
slip behind the Sangre de Cristos. My horse
had other ideas...it was feeding time at the
barn. Suddenly he bolted 180 degrees
and took off running for the barn. I did not :)
I landed in the field. Now, my horse always
had bright blue tack... a bright blue halter,
bridle, reins, saddle blanket, etc.
When my horse went running through the
barn area, ALL the trainers and stable boys
knew whose horse it was. I was told that
one said to the other, "I'll get Molly, you
get the horse." OMG embarrassing!! Moreso than that,
my elbow swelled up to the size of a softball and I was
sure I had broken it. Immediate ice packs brought
the swelling down by morning though, although that
fall did warrant a trip to the doctor.