Thursday, May 21, 2009

More on gossiping

I'm not big on gossiping. Oh I do it sometimes,
especially when I get on a rant about something
or someone:) But only to trusted people who I
know won't go back and say, "Do you know
what Molly said?" Those people I classify as
troublemakers.

After we moved to our log house in New Mexico,
I was invited to a Welcome party for me by the
older couple who lived behind us. At the party
were plenty of people, food, etc. One lady asked
me how I liked my house. "Oh I like it I said,
but we absolutely just love the land." "Land?
I didn't know any land came with the house."
Then several women discussed how they didn't
know any land was sold with our house. WTH?
THEN someone started discussing another
house that recently sold down the road. No one
knew the price it sold for, and one decided she
would just go to the courthouse and find out
how much it sold for. PULEEZE! Anyway this
continued on and on about people I really
didn't know very well. About 5ish I realized
I needed to get home. But no one was leaving
the party thrown in my honor. I stood up,
went to the bathroom, other subtle hints.
Nope, no one was leaving. Suddenly it dawned
on me - whoever left first was fair game for the
gossip so no one wanted to leave!! Once I realized
that I thanked them, excused myself, and left.

In a small town most gossip that is said about
you comes back to you eventually. There wasn't
too much about us, but one person in particular
felt the need to butt into our business. One time
she made the comment to one of our neighbor's
that I only was with my husband because of the
money. Once that got back to me I asked my
husband where all the money was - ha! The
other comment she made to my husband -
he went in there with our young'un who had
a binky in his mouth. She made a comment
about that. My husband came unglued -
telling her to never tell him how to raise
his kid and to mind her own f'ing business.
Both she and the person he was with had
their mouths open by the time my husband
was done with her. As far as I know he
never walked into her business again.

Can't recall being the target for much other
gossip in our New Mexico town. I'm sure
there was some, but not much if I don't
remember any. There was a saying I once
heard when I lived in Colorado that pretty
much also applied to NM. The saying was,
"We can screw each other but don't screw
with us as a whole." Gossiping sort of fits
in these lines as well.

So it slays me when someone feels the need
to gossip about me...I am NOT talking about
anyone in the town I live in now! It just
takes me by surprise because it is a rare
occasion to hear me say anything bad
about anyone I know.

I'm sick today, feel like dog poo. Going to
go enjoy a cup of coffee with my significant
other.