Friday, June 12, 2009

Do I need to act my age?

The other half and I were discussing some things last night.
He's a good sport about it - LOL.

Anyway, we have never once fought about any of the things
that most married couples fight about. The trust factor is
high, we've been married almost 18 years. No one questions
things much, we know if we screw up that we go down together,
and that will never happen. When we do have a disagreement
it is usually involving a misinterpretation or misunderstanding,
lack of communication in other words.

Anyway this always stymies some people. We don't pick
on each other for example, or tell each other what to do,
wear, watch or think. We are individuals and we also each
maintain our privacy (to some degree) and independence.
If we did not, then if something should happen to one
of us the other one would be lost, and that ain't gonna
happen! There still has to be respect, admiration, love,
and manners though, or it won't work.

What I have noticed with other people and couples the
most often, is that some people are way too serious with
life. I am totally serious when I have to be, otherwise I'm
not. Why should I be? We have enough stresses,
heartache and things to worry about without worrying
about more unnecessarily. If something is important
to me then my husband makes it important to him as
well, and I love him for that and I do reciprocate. When
he talks about 'us as a family' for instance, he includes
the pets. He knows if it ever came down to a choice
between him and the animals he had better start
packing! So he just accepted that.

I don't dress like I'm 18, but I am not going to dress like
I'm 60 or 70 either. Admitedly I look young for my
45 years of age. From a distance (if you can't see the
wrinkles) I look like I could be in my 20s. I attribute
that to (of course) genetics, also the way I handle life's
situations. When the youngun was born I read a
book about raising kids, and one thing I read stuck
with me - PICK your battles, or else you'll be stressed
out constantly! And that's how I view life in general.
What's important, really important to worry about?
What's the worst that could happen? And while I
still worry sometimes about things I shouldn't, there
are many things I just dismiss and I am a better person
because of that. Also I am not in bad shape for my
age, and I'm at the lower end of normal body mass
index, thankful for that. I also don't play 'mind games'
with people or get moody and silent when something
is bothering me - I get it all out in the open, let's
talk about it (if possible) and hash it out right now.
I think that's important to living a healthy life.

I tend to pick up speech patterns of those I am around -
so occasionally I will suddenly slip into this southern
accent. I also use words like 'dude' from hanging out
with the young'un. I don't do it on purpose! I worked
for a guy from India once and I always use to slip into
an Indian accent while speaking.

Occasionally I still get flattered and my ego gets boosted
a tad - like when the youngun tells me I'm 'hot', or when
a guy in his 20s tries to pick me up at Ruby Tuesday's.
Just the other day a carload of young guys (probably 20s)
drove past me honking and waving. But this is happening
less frequently now, and I do know it will (sadly) come to
and end one day (soon). I don't think I'm 'hot' by any
stretch of the imagination, I have much room for improvement.
Also too many wrinkles now, but hey that's genetics :)
But everyone needs a boost from time to time, or a smile
in their day. Everyone. And I know if one of those guys
in that car were to speak to me, he'd confirm the fact
that he killed off all of his brain cells with alcohol.

I follow no precedent for how I should act, how I should look,
how I should behave. I have responsibilities to my
immediate family (husband, son, pets) and to God
but I mean I follow no political correctness, or fashion
trends. Most of my clothing I get at Wal-Mart (cheap)
or Penney's (high end). My hair gets cut twice a year
for about ten bucks. I'm not into high maintenance.
The most common word used to describe me have
been 'wholesome'. I guess that's the country girl in
me.

Some occasionally mistake all this for being naive, and
that is so far from the truth. I choose to live in small
town America. I chose to not pursue a big city career.
I've had job offers that I turned down because of this,
I just don't like what I see in the bigger cities.